Wednesday, March 18, 2009

500 Extra Credit Points


Over the years I have noticed that there are works of literature, books, which affect people in profound ways. Books like Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Rings, and the Harry Potter series have affected people in this way. When I was a young man I read a book called Dune that changed the way I looked at many aspects of politics and religion. I can’t say how many times I’ve read Dune since then; but I’ve probably gone through 6 copies of the book. Today there is another book series, or saga, that has captured many young people; I am, of course, speaking of the Twilight Saga.
Why do these books capture us? I think it’s because the characters relate to us on a deeper level than other books. We feel we know, or are like, these characters. Maybe you’re Jasper, calming others by your presence. It could be Carlisle, that would be me, viewing the world in a detached, intellectual way. Or maybe you’re Rosalie, Dallas’ fav, always longing for something you can no longer have. It may be a character in another book; who knows, maybe you’re Captain Underpants!
If you would like to earn some extra points in social studies write a story with your character as the star. The story must be different from the original book, but the character must be the same. Imagine Edward coming to Havasu for spring break! Maybe Harry Potter would come to America and meet other wizards at the Telesis Academy of Witchcraft and Wizardry. How about Remus Lupin coming to La Push and hanging out with Jacob? How about the Baudelaire kids traveling to Arizona to check out the local vipers?
Have some fun, make it 3 pages typed, and earn 500 points.

No comments: